Robert Ek, doctor of the Imperial Cadet School of Finland, had the house built as a home for his family in 1866. The house represents the late Empire style, but it also contains features of the so-called nikkarityyli (joiner style).
The house was originally known as the “doctor’s house” or “Ek’s house”. It was not called the “Mayor’s house” until the 1950s, when the Mayor of Hamina moved into the house.
The story has it that Mrs Sofi Ek planted an oak (ek means oak in Swedish) in front of the house at around the time that the house was completed in the 1860s. The old oak still adorns the garden. The garden also contains many other trees of the same age as the oak, such as ashes, elms and a large linden.
The house is currently in private ownership and in residential use. Small-scale accommodation services are provided in an annex building by Pormestarintalon Pihakammari.